Words by Jenny Lynn Davis | Images by Ryan McGill, Al Blanton, and Jenny Lynn Davis
The weather is starting to cool, the leaves are changing colors, and football season is in full swing. It’s fall in the South!
Every year, fall brings with it many opportunities for fun and good times. So, get ready to be in the autumn spirit with this fall to-do list in Walker County!
Visit the Pumpkin Patch
Pumpkin patches are the perfect fall activity to enjoy with family and friends. In addition to picking a pumpkin right off the vine, they regularly have activities for folks of all ages. Walker County’s own Faye Whittemore Farms’ Pumpkin Patch opens for the season on October 8.
On Saturdays from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Sundays from 1 p.m. – 5 p.m., guests can enjoy a petting zoo with a multitude of small farm animals, a playground, hay maze, inflatables, obstacle courses, playgrounds, concessions, and face painting. Admission is $13 per person; Pumpkins are sold at farm prices for an additional 50 cents per pound.
Faye Whittemore Farms is located at 1619 Forrester Rd, Jasper, AL 35504.
Sip on Fall Drinks
Nothing says fall quite like a sip of a hot drink flavored to match the season. Apple cider and hot chocolate are the mainstays of an autumn drink menu, but local coffee shops go above and beyond to offer delicious alternatives in addition to the classics.
Lavish Coffee Bar’s fall menu features pumpkin spice latte, apple pie chai, and delicious pumpkin loaf cake!
The Blend Coffeehouse fall menu includes pumpkin spice latte, caramel apple butter latte, apple pie latte, and the Cinderella latte (a yummy blend of pumpkin spice and white chocolate)
Lavish Coffee can be found in four locations throughout the county:
- Downtown Jasper: 209 19th St E, Jasper, AL 35501
- The Jasper Mall: 300 Highway 78, Jasper, AL 35501
- Daily Dose Coffee Bar: 31040 NE 1st Ave #5, Carbon Hill, AL 35549 (inside Carbon Hill Drugs)
- Bevill State Community College: 805 14th Street E, Jasper, AL 35501 (inside Wade Math & Science Building)
The Blend Coffeehouse has three locations:
- Sumiton: 150 Hull Road
- Dora: 1517 Highway 78 (Drive-Thru Only)
- Jasper: 1903 3rd Avenue S (inside Paper Places Bookshop)
Shop for Seasonal Décor
A pumpkin for your porch, a wreath for your door, and a cozy throw blanket for your sofa; bring the beautiful sights of the season to your home with interior and exterior decor from local businesses. Here are a few we recommend:
- The Plantique – 2223 N Airport Road, Jasper, AL 35504
- Professional Landscaping Inc. – 4838 Curry Highway, Jasper, AL 35503
- Jasper Pickers – 315 Highway 78 W, Jasper, AL 35501
- The Tin Cup Market – 1301 Highway 78 E, Jasper, AL 35501
Have A Fall Photoshoot
Grab your friends, don your coziest sweaters, and smile for the camera! The changing leaves and light breeze make it the perfect time to step outside and pose for some new shots to update your Instagram feed. We recommend these locations as the backdrop for your next seasonal selfie!
- Horse Creek Walking Trail – Dora, AL (adjacent to Horse Creek Golf Course – 1745 Highway 78)
- Jasper Mural – 1808 5th Ave S, Jasper, AL 35501
- Gamble Park – Gamble Avenue, Jasper (adjacent to Bevill State Community College)
- Bankhead House – 800 7th Street W, Jasper, AL 35501
Socialize in the Streets
Come together with your friends and neighbors to celebrate the vibrant spirit of the season and a strong community this autumn at fun local events!
Oktoberfest – hosted by Jasper Main Street. This family-friendly celebration will be filled with delicious food, refreshing drinks, and plenty of activities for the kids.
Where: 4th Avenue, Tallulah Brewing Co. | When: October 7, 2023, from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Fall Fest – 17 churches and other local non-profits are joining together to provide a great afternoon of fun for families The event is free to attend, and costumes are welcome and encouraged!
Where: Downtown Jasper, Courthouse Square | When: October 29, 2023, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.